Jenny Rose Carey is an avid hands-on gardener and professional horticulturist. Born in England to a family of botanists and gardeners she grew up in the countryside and designed her first herb garden at age sixteen. She moved with her American husband to the Philadelphia area and has gardened there ever since.
Her degrees are in Biology, Horticulture and Education so Jenny Rose brings a strong teaching background to her writing and her presentations. Professionally she has been Director of two public gardens; The Ambler Arboretum of Temple University and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society’s Garden at Meadowbrook Farm.
She is now devoting her time to writing, speaking, and tending her own four-and-a-half-acre garden called Northview where she has lived for over a quarter of a century. Contact Jenny Rose Carey at email@example.com.
Affiliations of Jenny Rose Carey
- Former Senior Director of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society’s public garden at Meadowbrook Farm and former Director of the Ambler Arboretum of Temple University.
- Former adjunct professor in Horticulture and Landscape Architecture at Temple University and former instructor in the horticulture program at the Barnes Foundation.
- Board member of the Andalusia Foundation, board member at The Nature Conservancy – Pennsylvania and Delaware Chapter, and Bowman’s Hill Wildlife Preserve.
- Former board member at Awbury Arboretum, former board member of the Montgomery County (PA) Land’s Trust, previous Chair of Winterthur Garden and Landscape Society (WGLS), former Vice-chair of the Garden History and Design Committee of the Garden Club of America, chaired various Philadelphia Flower Show Committees, Garden Club of America horticulture judge, former head of the PTA Springside School, current board of visitor’s member for Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University, former Parents Association member Drexel University.
- Locally: Directly involved as a member of a number of horticultural organizations, including the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, Garden Club of Philadelphia, Founder and former President of Ambler Keystone chapter of Woman’s National Farm & Garden Association.
- Member and supporter of many of the Greater Philadelphia Gardens public garden members (where she was also on the Board and Executive Committee while at Temple Ambler): Ambler Arboretum, Barnes Foundation, Awbury Arboretum, Bartram’s Garden, Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve, Chanticleer, Jenkins Arboretum, Longwood Gardens, Morris Arboretum, the Philadelphia Zoo, Scott Arboretum, and Natural Land’s Trust (Stoneleigh).
- Member of the following local plant societies: Delaware Valley Daffodil Society, Philadelphia Unit of the Herb Society of America, The Hardy Plant Society (Mid Atlantic Group), Delaware Valley Hosta Society, Delaware Valley Fern and Wildflower Society, Delaware Valley Rock Garden Society.
- National and International: Member of the American Horticulture Society, Berkshire Botanic Gardens, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, New York Botanic Gardens, Missouri Botanic Gardens, Smithsonian Institution and the Archives of American Gardens, Chelsea Physic Garden (London), Kew Gardens (London).
- Life member of the Royal Horticultural Society (UK), Life member of the National Trust (UK),
- Close ties with many local and national garden clubs, public gardens, horticultural organizations and garden centers especially those where she has spoken over the years.